Saturday, May 17, 2008

Vienna - recollections of days gone by

I worked in Vienna on a joint software project for a while in the spring of 2001. My flat was on the northeast side of the ring road on Holland Strasse. I walked across the Danaukanal (Danube Channel) each morning to my office on Salzgries Strasse.

I remember many a spring evening walking up and down Kartner Strasse and dining around St. Stephens Church. I recall one special evening in particular, it is the end of May and May 2001 is hotter than usual(~30C); as such there are many open windows on the upper floors of older buildings, the occupants seeking a little cooling from the evening breeze. As I approach the southwest end of Kärntner Straße, near the Opernring (Opera Ring) road, I hear a soprano practicing and her voice is lifted by the warm evening breeze and drifts gently onto the cobblestone street below. I pause, not sure from where the sound originates. It is coming from a large second story open window on the back side of the opera house. I find a little coffee shop nearby; sit outside with the warm breeze on my face, sweet Viennese coffee on my lips and the sound of heaven whispering in my ears.

photo by
Stranskyat

No comments: